Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I love Giftmas

I most often describe my religious views as "antagonistic". I'm devoutly atheist, and find most religious traditions to be simply absurd on their face, and find little reason to avoid pointing it out. Christmas in particular I find a great deal to dislike. Be it the fact that Jesus, Christ or not, wasn't born in Dec. Or the fact that the whole thing is just a co-opting of established pagan traditions. Most annoying to me is the Santa Claus myth.

Now, I realize this is a secular tradition, and one that annoys the Religious equally. But why on earth do we need to lie to our kids about this Santa character? Do you think it adds any value? Would they not be just as happy to get gifts if they knew they came from Mommy and/or Daddy? I can tell you, Trevor gave two shits about what came from who. That he got it was important to him. I'd advise any parent (my wife included) to honestly think about what difference it makes, and if that difference is worth deceiving your children for. While you're at it, how about evaluating the efficacy of any of the "miracle" based explanations you provide to them?

That said, I love to give presents, and of course to get them. I like the spoils of the holiday, even if the underpinnings are nonsense. So I celebrate Giftmas. I dunno where that term originated. I recall first hearing it from Jeremy, many years ago. In any case, it's rather ubiquitous today. Not LOLCat ubiquitous, but close.

The best thing about having kids, is buying one gift, and that constituting both a give and a get. Exhibit A:

The AFX Long Beach Grand Prix HO Slot Car track. 50 ft of track, extends into the next room. Need to get a pic of it setup. Pretty sweet. Best part is, when Trevor opened it, he said "This is just like you wanted, Daddy!"










Oh, and did I mention I love the cookies? I do. A lot. Mmmm...Cookies...

No comments: